How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Song of Solomen 4:1

To all who mourn, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, January 24, 2013

No, All This Healthy Food Didn't Kill Me...

I've been getting a lot of "flak" lately from my family about not keeping up with my blog. I guess I didn't realize anyone was really reading! Just kidding! 

Not to make excuses, but in my last post I talked about beginning this new journey of healthy eating. And that is exactly what has been taking up a big chunk of my time! 

I am a food and nutrition researching FOOL! Who knew how food heals our bodies could be so fascinating?! I am loving every minute of it! My family maybe not so much! There are times I think that they think I've gone into lupus psychosis. (that's yet another lupus thing I never want to face). Not only do I love learning about these things because I know God is going to continue healing me as I treat my body the way it should be treated, but also, because I know he is going to help use this experience of healing in my life to help others. Others who are stuck relying on medications, living with disease and sickness when things could quite possibly be reversed! 

Don't get me wrong, I am all for medication when necessary! But WHY rely on medications that bring along more negative side effects than positive action? Especially, when you could so easily try putting the RIGHT things in your body to heal it first!

For example, my mom. She goes to the doctor for high blood pressure. What is the first thing they say? Cut out salt, exercise and lose some wight. That's not easy. So they get put on medication. Over the years my mom has been off and on her medication. Off when she eats the way God intended her to eat! BINGO! Her BP is normalizing so why need the meds? Continue with routine doctors visits of course to monitor. Simple as that. 

But is it really that simple? No.

Pop a pill each morning 
OR
try cutting out salt, processed foods, eat more fruit and veggies, whole wheat, cook more, etc.?

I may have said this once before, but I have been on Cellcept since April. Some pretty hefty doses. I need to point out though that sometimes medications are necessary for life. This medication is VERY important in transplant patients. It is also used to try and control lupus. My thought on this is that if I can control my lupus without the drug, why not try that first. Yes, I may realize down the road that I do need immunosupressive therapy again. But that is not going to be my fist line of treatment! 

This is why I find popping a pill is NOT the easy way out:
 

And that is just the tip of the iceberg on the side effects of this drug. I'm not even going to list the other negative side effects found in my 4 other medications. 

I think you get the point...

This journey has already been amazing! I can't even begin to list the people who have been encouraging and supportive of me!

My beautiful friend Rachel and I decided to start this journey together! She does not have a chronic disease like I do, but is as fascinated as I am with whole foods and healing the body! It's been great to have someone as passionate as I am to join my journey. 

I will be continuing to post more about this new life plan and how the process is going. And, I promise to be better at keeping up with things! ;) (family!!)

This is NOT a diet. And I will never return to eating as I did. This is a new way of life for not just me, but my family. It is a lifestyle, but not one that I am boasting or bragging about. That is never my intent. 

It is not about what others think of me. Too green. Crazy. Tree huger. 

The is about saving my life. Period. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel love reading your blog! Ive done a lifestyle change in eating since last February due to gallstones and liver and kidney issues. Its amazing what God has done first and what healthy eating can do second. Love learning how food plays a huge role in our bodies. Just had blood work and CT scan done and all looks well. Keep up the journey...its a whole different mind set you have to embrace but so worth it. Love that Im investing in my kids health too. Love and prayers! I enjoy recipes or links you post!

    ReplyDelete