How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Song of Solomen 4:1

To all who mourn, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, September 17, 2012

Lupus? What The Heck Is That Anyway? Part 8

After getting the call from the nephrologist, and knowing that I now had a diagnosis of lupus nephritis, I knew I would be having IV steroid treatments x3 days and then starting a dose of 60mg of Prednisone PO daily. I quickly explained everything to Jared then went upstairs to get all of my medical nursing textbooks out, turning straight to the lupus page. As soon as I got to those pages, I started to remember the studying, highlighting, and rewriting notes on this subject just 3 years ago. As I was scanning through the pages, I remember stopping, looking up from the book and thinking, 'wow, never did I think while studying this in school I would actually be diagnosed and learning it all again for myself!'
 



Here is some information on lupus for those of you who may not understand the disease well. These are taken from WebMD. A great source that explains things pretty easily, without a lot of medical terminology.


What is systemic lupus erythematosus, or lupus?

Lupus is an autoimmune disease, which means that the body's natural defense system (immune system) attacks its own tissues instead of attacking foreign substances like bacteria and viruses. This causes inflammation. Inflammation causes swelling, pain, and tissue damage throughout the body. If you develop severe lupus, you may have problems with your kidneys, heart, lungs, nervous system, or blood cells. Lupus is the common name for systemic lupus erythematosus, also called SLE.

Although some people with lupus have only mild symptoms, the disease is lifelong and can become severe.

This topic focuses on systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), the most common and most serious type of lupus. But there are four other types of lupus: discoid or cutaneous lupus, drug-induced systemic lupus, neonatal lupus, and subacute cutaneous lupus.Source


Like you see above, there are different types of lupus. I was diagnosed with SLE. This form of lupus can affect any organ in the body. Lupus nephritis was the more specific diagnosis I was given because the lupus choose to attack my kidneys at that time. Joint pain is a major symptom in lupus patients. I experienced that pain in December. Along with an elevated ANA, and later, a confirmed diagnosis with an elevated double strand DNA and titer, these factors together helped the doctors make the diagnosis of lupus.


Lupus Nephritis

Lupus nephritis is inflammation of the kidney that is caused by systemic lupus erythematous (SLE). Also called lupus, SLE is an autoimmune. With lupus, the body's immune system targets its own body tissues. Lupus nephritis happens when lupus involves the kidneys.
An estimated one-third to one-half of lupus patients develop lupus nephritis within the first six months to three years of their lupus diagnosis. When the kidneys are inflamed, they can't function normally and can leak protein. If not controlled, lupus nephritis can lead to kidney failure.Source


I went over to my parents that night, textbooks in hand, and educated my family a little. I was glad to finally have a diagnosis that I could at least study up on and learn more about. 

Here is a neat chart on lupus. Click on the source for a better look:





Because I was forced to research lupus, I told some of the girls at work that I felt like I was going back to nursing school, obtaining a masters degree in lupus!

That Friday, I would make my way to the hospital to begin my IV steroid treatments. I was praising God that I did not have to be admitted for 3 days when I really didn't need to be! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment