How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Song of Solomen 4:1

To all who mourn, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. Isaiah 61:3

Friday, September 28, 2012

Pills, Pills, and More Pills. Part 1

The week after my IV steroid treatments I had a follow up with my regular nephrologist. I hadn't seen or heard from him since my biopsy because he was on vacation right after the procedure. I dropped Elin of at my sisters house and headed to my appointment. Jared of course wanted to come and hear what he had to say. I was NOT feeling better at this point and wanted to know why. I had that huge dose of steroids that weekend! Why wasn't I feeling better!?! 

I was seeing my nephrologist every 2 weeks then and having blood work done every week before the appointment to check my kidney levels among other things. Now I go every 6 weeks, yay, I've made progress!

He started discussing my progress and my treatment plan based on my lab levels and controlling the lupus. I told him my blood pressure had been running high (which it was that day at my appointment).

He started telling me about the meds he wanted me on. Then said, "umm, I better write these down." Oh boy, I knew I was in for quite the med list!


Prednisone 60mg daily, taper to 50mg daily. As I posted here on Monday, the prednisone is used to reverse the kidney damage. You MUST taper off steroids. I am on 10mg now with pretty minimal side effects compared to when I was on 60mg. I cannot WAIT to get off it!

Cellcept 250 bid (this means twice daily) week 1
         500 bid week 2
         1000 bid week 3 = This is my current cellcept dose.
I have been on this dose since May. When my doctor first told me he wanted me on this drug it had sounded very familiar to me. I quickly remembered having a patient that was taking it who had just received a liver transplant. This drug is given in patients who receive transplants to keep their body from rejecting the organ. I was a little confused as to how this was going to help me. Was he preparing me for a kidney transplant? No.  

Basically, cellcept is an immunosuppressive. In lupus patients, during a flare, the immune system is going CRAZY, as in, hyperactive. The tiger needs tamed!! That's where cellcept comes in. For all my medical buddies, here is more detail on cellcept: http://www.drugs.com/cellcept.html

Bactrim DS 1 tab MWF. This is an antibiotic taken 3 times a week as a preventative to infections. I take this because both the prednisone and cellcept are suppressing my immune system, making me VERY prone to infection. So far, during my treatment, I have only had ONE infection in June. My doc quickly put me on another antibiotic for 5 days and the cold only lasted about a week. As soon as I show ANY signs of infection; fever, chills, green/dark snot or phlegm, sore throat, etc. I MUST call him right away and get put on yet another antibiotic.

Lasix 40mg BID There were some days where I really wanted to overdose on this med. Not to kill myself, but because the swelling was SO bad and painful, I wanted it GONE! 
I am not on this anymore. I stopped taking in June because my swelling was GONE!!

Lisinopril 10mg daily. I had to increase to 20mg because my BP was not controlled on the 10mg. I'm only on 5mg today! Yay! (I'm still on a higher dose than my grandma though! Ugh! Lol) My BP became elevated due to the prednisone, but more so from the kidneys not doing their job.  

If the flow of blood through the renal arteries decreases for any reason, the kidneys can be tricked into thinking that blood pressure is too low. The kidneys detect this decrease and release the hormone renin in an attempt to raise blood pressure and restore normal blood flow. Problems arise when the decrease in blood flow is not actually caused by low blood pressure. In these cases, the kidneys end up raising blood pressure to very high levels in order to push more blood through the narrowed renal arteries. http://highbloodpressure.about.com/od/associatedproblems/a/renovascular.htm

Zantac 75mg daily. This was a requirement for me every day! The prednisone ate up my stomach so terribly! The pain was unbearable at times! Since I have only been on 10mg for about a month now, I do not take is every day. Still, there are days that I feel that pain coming in the morning and have to take one. Nothing compared to before though!

Tums ES 600g BID I took this to help with the above ^ problem. Stomach issues. But also, to increase my calcium level from the prednisone that was depleting me of it. 




As my doc was going over all the meds, adding and adding, I could not help but become overwhelmed. My eyes filled with tears as I thought about how quickly my life was changing. From never needing any kind of medication to a bazillion pills! (Ok, exaggeration). Not only was I overwhelmed with the pills, but also his explanation of the kidney damage and how bad it really was, that I was going to be off work for months, and that the lupus was a pretty big deal, more serious than I thought. Hello denial? Maybe. I asked him why I was feeling worse and not better after the IV treatments. He told me that it just wasn't that easy for my kidneys to heal based on how badly they were damaged. 

Because of my amazing God and wonderful family and friends who have encouraged me, I am not going to let this disease define me. Who I am is not found in a disease, but in WHO I am in Christ! I am His and He is mine. No one can take THAT away! 

Think about your current struggle. Are you allowing it to define you? Let Him have it!

"Who I am is not found in ________, but in who I am in Christ!"

Who are we in Christ?  

I have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16; Philippians 2:5).
I can do all things through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:13).
I have the peace of God that passes all understanding(Philippians 4:7). 
I am more than a conqueror through Him Who loves me (Romans 8:37).

I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).
I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:7). 

I am healed by the stripes of Jesus (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24).

I am greatly loved by God (Romans 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4).
I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power (Colossians 1:11)
I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward (Philippians 3:14).
For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).

It is not I who live, but Christ lives in me (Galatians 2:20).


...and oh so many more here! 




No comments:

Post a Comment